Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Being Careful Not to Twist Stitches

OK, enough of the learning new things for now. Remember that silk yarn that I bragged about and picked up from the stitches convention in February? Well, it has a new purpose. Many of you have probably seen this tank from interweave knits. This pattern is free on the interweave website! Well, it's about to be mine in a minute.

I had to start over once I realized that I had NOT been careful not to twist the stitches.

My "100% premium quality silk" could have been knit up on size 4 needles to meet the gauge, but I decided to change to the 3 just because of the smoother join that my Boye and Knit Picks Options needles offered over the Plymouth. The snagging was killing me and was in part why I didn't take care NOT to twist the stitches. This means more knitting, but I think it will be worth it.

So, I finally have something to get excited about because this pattern has given very few problems. That waist border is one by one ribbing, and it seems I've casted on one more stitch than I needed to. Fuey! I'm not turning back now. That's not even my biggest problem. I was only able to wind half of my silk skein into a ball. The other half looks like this. It makes me sick to think of the precious knitting time untangling this mess will take.


I think it'll be worth it. The yarn label didn't list a color. I think I'll call it African Sunset. For some reason, it kind of takes me to a place I've never been when I gaze at it. If you make this tank, can you let me know?

9 comments:

Adrienne said...

hmm, what was your question again? I'm doing a KAL for this...if you want an invite, let me know. I'm working on mine right now....email me...

NikkiJ said...

Adrienne, I am so there!

Nik said...

You know,

I like the colors in the yarn you chose. It will definitely help to add interest to the tank.

Sheila said...

I had purchased a hank of Elisebeth Lavold yarn (Silky Wool) with an intent to crochet a tank... clueless about working with hanks... I started crocheting straight from it and ended up with a mass of tangles...lol Since then I've avoided hanks. I really like your color choice and agree with Nik that it will add interest to the tank. I am new to knitting and working up a dishcloth as my 1st project.

NikkiJ said...

Sheila,

I wish I could avoid the hank. But I think it makes up about 25% of my stash. I don't think I could do it.

Sheila said...

Thanks for the confidence. I have a few rows on my dishcloth, but noticed at least 3 holes.. do you have any suggestions on fixing holes? I also printed the summertime tunic pattern and read through it... ohhh I see that I will have to change needles... I scurrred...lol, but I'm definitely interested in giving it a try - I need to get circular needles and find substitute yarn... any suggestions...

Anonymous said...

I just finished this tank & plan to have pics on my blog in a couple of days. It was nice, mindless knitting...I like the colors you're using, I didn't think to do it in multicolor, but that should come out very nice.

Anonymous said...

Everyone! As hanks are more economical to produce than balls, they are here to stay. Invest in swift and a ball winder. I have a inexpensive plastic swift that I've had for years.

As for the tangle––shake it, until you can find a loose end, then slowly ball it. If you cannot find an end, it is snarled. No matter. Make an end by cutting it––that's right––cutting it. It's okay. You konw the yarn is too beautiful to abandon it.

Nikki, since you are using a size smaller needle than recommended, measure, measure, measure, the length and width as you go along. Make any adjustments NOW.

NikkiJ said...

Sahara, I hear you loud and clear. In my defense, I walked around the entire Stitches convention asking someone to let me borrow/pay for the use of their swift and winder (I have a ball winder), but was continuously denied due to the size of the hank. I know it's time to get one now. I know. This will be the last time this happens to me.