Saturday, August 02, 2008

Zipper In!

Okay, I'll probably be sewing all day today, or at least as long as my brain can take it. I'm ahead of my class a little because there was a problem with my paper blouse. The teacher had to take some time to figure it out on her own before she could help me.

This means that in order to stay occupied I had to move to the next step, at least on my pants. Which, was cutting out the fabric. So, while everyone else is cutting out fabric at home, I'm sewing pants at home.

Well, I'm so proud to announce that I have sewn in a zipper!

It's a little wonky at the top, but I do not care and I dare that teacher to ask me to re sew it. I think this zipper look pretty good for a first one (I may have done a zipper before but I can't remember). Especially since there are sooooo many patterns out there with no zippers or buttons at all. The only reason I'm putting up with this is because it's a class assignment. Shoot, give me a C grade on zipper install for all I care. I'm proud of my zipper.





And do you see all those little shreds coming off of my fabric. Should I have like "surged" over the edges of the piecies to keep that from happening? The teacher told me I could have done it before treating the fabric in order to avoid it, but she didn't tell me anything about the cut out pieces. Oh well, better keep moving before those shreds multiply and my seam allowance is all off.

11 comments:

Sheila said...

Your zipper looks great. You may want to serge the edges, b/c it will only get worse.

Umme Yusuf said...

nice job with the zippers. I agree,surge now and you will feel easier and the garment will also look neater.

Knitaholictoo said...

Fabulous work! Serge, serge, serge!

Adrienne said...

Great job with the zipper! I agree with everyone else about the serger.

NikkiJ said...

Thanks ya'll. You probably all know that at this point in my sewing venture I do not have an actual serger. I will however be experiment with a certain over stitch when I get home. Thanks for the unanimous advice, LOL.

Still Patrice said...

uhoh! look at you chic! Geaux Nikki

NikkiJ said...

Okay, ya'll. I used some edge stitch on the machine to fake a surge and I must say it's help a lot. I couldn't even sew the outside legs together there were so many shreds of fabric. After "serging" I was able to work that ease in, but I still don't know if I did it right. We'll see. Thanks for the advice.

Lesalicious said...

Yay congrats on the zipper looking oh so great.:)

Nik said...

Girl,

I have YET to install a zipper. I have the perfect skirt pattern, though, that will give me practice. Good Job.

Nik said...

I saw that you mentioned overstitching. Do you know how to do that "free-handed"...I mean, without a special foot? I tried and my edges ended up looking ragged. I ended up buying an overcast foot from JoAnn's to help.

NikkiJ said...

@Nik: I do not have a special foot. Although last night the teacher showed me one. I couldn't use it because my machine does not have the kind of foot that snaps on and off so I couldn't use her foot. I just practiced the stitch on a piece of scrap fabric. I didn't think it looked all that good but she said it looked great. If I can get this waist band in tonight I'll post some update pics.